Your son or daughter is assigned the special date for their Bat or Bar Mitzvah, a year, sometimes 2 years in advance. The rite of passage most honored in the Jewish faith is now yours to plan and it is nothing but overwhelming. Whether you plan for the large and over-the-top or a more low key celebration, the many details involved with Bat and Bar Mitzvah planning make up a long list. Following are a few tips to aid in taking on this project which will certainly be one of the most important days in your son’s or daughter’s life.
Start with pen and paper to create a list of tasks, with the most important at the top and work down from there:
- Set up an appointment with the Temple coordinator to go over the details of the Bat or Bar Mitzvah ceremony, whether photography will be allowed during the service, Friday night before service, floral arrangements for the service and other details that the coordinator will take you through.
- Discuss possible lunch following service, along with its setup and decor.
- Hire a good photographer with experience covering Bar and Bat Mitzvahs who will photograph the family, service, lunch and the party following. Follow the same for video if you choose to have one.
- Start assembling photos if you plan to show a montage
- List the outfits need for each member of the family for the Bat or Bar Mitzvah service and party.
- Start looking at Bar or Bat Mitzvah invitations to get an idea of the design/style you prefer
- If there will be a Bat or Bar Mitzvah party theme, start thinking about ideas and how they might be carried through.
- Start a guest list and divide into two categories; 1]family and friends 2]the friends of your daughter or son.
- Decide if there will be a candle lighting ceremony. This used to be a given; however, many are opting to not these days. If there will be one, we suggest your son or daughter start listing those to be involved and start jotting down ideas about what to say so that as the date comes closer this is a lot easier to complete.
- Start a list of what you would like to include in the party: room décor, table décor, colors, Florals, photo booth, Bat or Bar Mitzvah DJ and MC, music, lighting, other entertainment, sign in book or scrapbook, etc.
These suggestions will make for a really good head start which will help to streamline the process of Bat and Bar Mitzvah planning as you move forward. The day will be amazing and should be enjoyed and celebrated with the entire family. The work and time you put in early will facilitate success.
All the best!
The Bat and Bar Mitzvah Planning Team
Party Planners LA